Is it because you're too lazy or too busy?
Currently, compatriot DDon and I are working our butts off in a sweatshop somewhere. His presence makes me not want to lag, and probably vice-versa. As a direct result our mutual discomfort, we are trying to complete various tasks post haste. And I have noticed that the pace of work getting completed has more than doubled compared to when I work alone. What gives?
Well, it could be because after so many years in this business, with the last 7 at the same company as of this week, some of the sparkle has begun to fade on the old career-o-meter. After you make the impossible happen over and over again, the pride in and sense of accomplishment begins to dull. Even the most difficult projects become normal ho/hum drudgery because you have seen it before and you will undoubtedly see it again.
It could also be that due to the Peter principle, I have been promoted well beyond my power band in terms of effectiveness, and I am learning a new skill set ie management as a whole. It could also be that now that I am in management, I do not consider the things I do to be all that productive though they are necessary.
My current theory is that when I am sitting in this office day after day doing the same thing, that I lose drive to do as much or work as hard as I should sometimes. In the face of any change in my environment, my mind gets stimulated to a degree and that prompts it to become more active.
What I have noticed after writing all this is that I feel like I could be doing more and the reality is that I likely should be working harder. Yes, I am inherently always busy, but I am always lazy too and between the two concepts there really is no happy middle ground.
Since this entire article seemed pretty much like a downer in retrospect, I submit the following to cheer myself up:
- My stocks are going up while the market as a whole is going down. I have netted 5% in the last week because of some shrewd placements while the DJIA is down ~220 pts or 1% in that same period. Want to know how? read this site sometimes, I do share my secrets here regularly.
- I had band practice already
- I finished my taxes last week. Got my effective rate down too. I may do an article on it again sometime.
- I didn't disappoint anybody yet this week that I know of. Yes that is an accomplishment.
- I managed to handle an issue with my property manager very well and we both went away happy and content with the interaction. It could have very much so gone to the unpleasant end of the spectrum had I not held my cool.
- Sometimes just not messing anything up has to be an accomplishment in and of itself right?
- I wrote an article this week. So there's that.
- Don't look at me.