Why Facebook Stock Deflation Inflates my Hope for Humanity
So here I am minding my own business watching various stocks for bargains etc... which has been my thing this last few weeks, when I come across a few gems like the following:
Basically as near as I can tell somebody finally exposed information that we all knew about Facebook which is that they harvest your data and sell it to the highest bidder. The funny thing about it is that the data is usually so unprotected that it is free anyway so only a very large scale scam&spam oriented operation would ever pay for it anyways. And it took a monumental "accidental breach" for them to get caught. They have been doing this forever.
I am wondering how many world users of Facebook have noticed emails in their spam boxes and random "vacation offer!" phone calls going through the roof? Would it be safe to say that a large portion of the spam community in the USA is created by FB data breaches as well as their blatant disregard for any semblance of privacy? There is no doubt in my mind. And for some odd reason it has not been investigated even slightly until recently. Hmmm I wonder why.....
But I digress, the point of this article was to describe how the failure of a company with no moral values makes me happy. I will proceed with a list of everything they have done to make people hate them:
- Facebook has essentially been the thought police for years and has on numerous occasions suspended accounts for legal speech.
- They have suspended accounts for political reasons
- They have skewed trending event feeds for political reasons
- They have also censored and blocked accounts of anybody they felt like for little or no reason.
- They have also sold your personal data to the highest bidder many times.
- They have changed their layout to feature ads in your news feed.
- They have added ads to the sides of your news feed.
- They have enabled auto-play of videos in your news feed.
- They have changed it so that FB will advertise to you to purchase their advertising as notifications.
- They have changed it so that everything under the sun shows up as a notification even though it is not, and nobody even cares you are alive!
- They have made it so that messenger is un-muteable on your phone without uninstalling the app completely
- They have made it so that you have to install a second app to read messages sent to any page you manage
- They have allowed spambots from all over the world to pose as people and harvest data claiming they are not aware of the behavior and/or there is nothing they can do to stop it
- And many more wonderful things that I don't feel like typing up
As the years have progressed I have become concerned about the future of society. How it is that people can spend YEARS OF THEIR LIFE on social media and watching TV is mind boggling in itself. This consumption of canned-ham thought has brought society down from groups of free thinkers to groups of sheeple even further. Even worse than that now companies are banning people for speech that they do not agree with, and somehow that is perfectly acceptable and legal. These companies control thought on a global scale and anybody with half a brain can see it. While at the same time freedom of association has been completely trampled so much so that the government will use your taxes to pay for drug-addicted scum to live in your nice neighborhood just because, with no regard as to whether you want it to happen or not! You can't have it both ways at the same time! At some point even the dumb people will notice the hypocrisy.
My only hope is that the current cracks in the foundation will lead to further decline of the thought police empire. This also extends to Television and online gaming. I want the thought police gone, thinking and speaking is supposed to be a human right and it should be illegal to suppress legal speech. I will say that again:
It should be illegal to suppress legal speech
People have started to notice this but I suppose it might very well be too late for a full reversal. Here are some other viewership's that are having a hard time because they have become an echo chamber of idiocy:
- Major new outlets
- Daily Show
- The Ghost Busters Franchise
- The Star Wars Franchise
- NYT, CNN, Daily Mail, etc...
This article is more of an opinion piece that anything else. But I do have a couple main points to drive home here:
1: One of them is that Facebook has essentially become Myspace and it will end up the same way, I do not personally think they can reverse this decline because of the size and ignorance of their organization. Yes they are larger, but that means they might fall harder and they certainly will need to make changes if they don't want to. However, if you were looking to buy FB stock for business reasons, you would want to do a thorough analysis because it may very well be that they could turn this around for a few years or so. Though fixing this would be painful, the potential upside is very, very high up for a savvy and informed investor.
2: The domination of large private companies who censor LEGAL speech on speech-based platforms really should be regulated in some manner. The fact that so many people are addicted to media makes it a strong force in shaping the minds of our country and across the world even. Society will ignore this warning at it's own risk. The government should absolutely prosecute and litigate immediately for the data breaches as well as for consumer protection. If they had our best interests in mind they would institute laws saying that free speech cannot be censored by monopolies in the same way that it is illegal for the government to censor free speech based on the first amendment. After all, if your platforms for speech are controlled to this degree and they hold a majority of the audience, you in fact have already accomplished thought control en masse.
Yeah that's a bit heavy. I want people to know this. Maybe you don't agree with me. Maybe you don't know or care what freedom of association is and why it has been trampled. Maybe you don't see the industrial scale censorship in progress and the harm it causes because companies are censoring people you don't like or don't care about. Maybe, you are in fact, part of the problem. I hope you lost out big time on FB in the last few weeks then and sold at the bottom like a lot of people are doing. Because for once the censors and thought police lost a battle, and there will be plenty more to come as transparency increases in the wake of this probe.